Historical Fiction Book Review by Kaitlyn

  Kaitlyn’s Book Talk


WORDS ON FIRE
                                          AUTHOR:
                               JENNIFER A. NIELSEN
   
                           
                                                       Genre:Historical Fiction
                
  I chose the book because the cover hooked me in. As I was reading,
I wanted to know if Audra could live by herself.


One day in June, 1893 a girl named Audra lived with her parents. Her father
can do real magic. One day Audra was hanging laundry on the clothesline,
and she could see the soldiers. Audra ran inside to grab her parents, the
next second Audra’s mother grabbed her and ran. Her father  got arrested
and the soldiers burned the house down. A few minutes later Audra’s mother
full and got arrested. The two parents got arrested and Audra is alone.
         
             
Passage (pg 14): 
“I was faster, so I didn’t realize at first that Mama had fallen.  When I heard
her call my name, I turned to see her foot had become tangled in some
low-hanging wire for our climbing plants.”


“No, Audra,” she cried.  “Keep running!”


Nothing could make me leave her, not as Papa had just forced us to leave him.
  I hurried back to her, my heart pounding in my chest so forcefully that I
could hardly think.


“You must get to the forest,” Mama said.
  
 “I can untangle you.” My  trembling fingers were working at the wire that
had somehow twisted around her leg.    

I really like this book because there is action. There is violent action.  That
means there were a lot of people who were killed because of WWII.  Audra
has to save herself from the soldiers.


I would recommend the book to people that like WWII books and people
who like books about characters who have to protect themselves.

I rate the book to 10 out of 10.

Do you have any questions?